The electrical system is the heart of your home. The slightest malfunction will throw your daily routine for a loop. Without electricity, it will be impossible to take a hot shower or bath, wash dishes, do laundry, and keep the refrigerator cold. Something as simple as turning on a light switch is not possible without electricity.
Know Your Home’s Electrical System
Every homeowner should know the ins and outs of their home’s electrical system. Know the components and their capabilities, so when a mishap occurs, you will be fully prepared. It is also important to know the signs of a problematic residential electrical system. These signs include the following:
- Burning Scent – An odor that is similar to smoke is a sign of a problem within the electrical system. The problem could very well be an exposed wire making contact with other components. A burning odor is no joke because it could lead to an electrical fire if not promptly eliminated.
- Lights Flickering – While flickering lights are not always a sign of a problem within the home’s electrical panel, it very well could be. Flickering lights could be on the electricity service provider’s end. This is more often the case than not. But, if your lights continue to flicker after several hours, it is recommended to call a licensed electrician to request an inspection.
- Humming Noise – A humming noise coming out of your electrical panel may be a sign of things to come. The humming noise could be contributed to a bad electrical connection or circuit breaker. Humming noises coming from electrical outlets and switches are most likely contributed to years of wear and tear.
- Damaged Wiring – If your electrical wires are visible in the basement, crawlspace, or attic, it is a good idea to inspect them routinely. What you are looking for is damaged wiring, such as gnaw marks that leave the wires exposed to the elements. Exposed wiring is extremely dangerous. If not replaced or repaired in a timely manner, it could lead to an electrical fire. Rats, wild animals, and field mice will oftentimes gnaw on electrical wiring when building nests.
- Electrical Sparking – Exposed wire making contact with other components will lead to electrical sparking and eventually electrical fires.
Electrical problems can also be the result of low-quality materials that were utilized during the initial installation and upgrades.
Electrical Sparks, Burning Smell, Flickering Lights – Call Us Today!
Detecting the signs associated with a problematic electrical system warrants an emergency call to our local office.